A Clark County judge granted a temporary restraining order Thursday to prevent MGM Resorts International from destroying any evidence related to the massacre at the Route 91 Harvest music festival.
Lawyers for a California woman who was shot and critically wounded during the Oct. 1 concert filed a lawsuit last week, asking for a judge to stop MGM from destroying video surveillance or any information the casino operator may have related to gunman Stephen Paddock, who authorities have said frequented gambling establishments and fired on the festival crowd from a suite at Mandalay Bay.
The order was sought by attorneys who represent Rachel Sheppard, a California woman who survived the attack, despite being shot in the chest three times.
“The shooter was in that hotel for six days,” says attorney Brian Nettles.
The order, granted by Judge Mark Denton, restrains Mandalay Bay from destroying anything of evidentiary value until another hearing set for Oct. 30 at 9 a.m.
That’s when MGM will have a chance to argue against the ruling, before a possible ruling to would make the order permanent.
“There’s evidence that’s coming out about surveillance cameras that he may have set up himself, evidence about ways that he may have altered his room or that hallway,” he says.
The lawsuit alleges that negligence on the part of Mandalay Bay, and MGM Resorts, contributed to the shooting massacre that claimed 58 lives and injured more than 500 people.
Follow links for more on this story.