The Malaysian Government has confirmed it has chosen a company to begin a new search for MH370 and is now negotiating the terms of the deal.
It has notified the families of the 239 people lost aboard MH370 that it is negotiating the terms and conditions of the search with US company Ocean Infinity.
The seabed exploration company had offered to look for the missing Boeing 777 aircraft on a no-find, no-fee basis.
MH370 disappeared over the southern Indian Ocean in March 2014 while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
The initial search of the ocean floor was suspended in January after no trace of the plane was found on the ocean floor.
Advice sent today to MH370 families states that the MH370 Response team, "received several proposals from interested parties to search for MH
FAMILIES of passengers on board missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 on Saturday launched a campaign to privately fund a search for the aircraft.
Flight MH370, carrying 239 people, went missing on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, nearly three years ago, on March 8, 2014.
Australia, Malaysia, and China jointly called off a two-year underwater search for the aircraft in January.
SEE ALSO: MH370 search suspended by China, Malaysia and Australia.
Grace Nathan, a Malaysian lawyer whose mother, Anne Daisy, was on the plane, said the families hope to raise US$15 million to fund an initial search north of the previous search area.
“We won’t start fundraising until we’re sure that the governments are not going to resume the search and until the current data has been fully
The search for the Malaysian airliner that disappeared three years ago with 239 on board has been suspended.
In a statement, Australia, Malaysia and China said the decision was taken with "sadness" after a fruitless search in more than 120,000 sq km (46,300 miles) of the Indian Ocean.
Families of the victims called it an "irresponsible" move that must be reconsidered.
Flight MH370 vanished en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur in 2014.
So far only seven of the 20 pieces of recovered debris have been identified as definitely or highly likely to be from the Boeing 777.
A report in November 2016 said the plane probably made a "high and increasing rate of descent" into the Indian Ocean.
Tuesday's joint statement said "no new information has been discovered to determine the specific...
In the final days of the search for MH370, the search vessel searching the depths of the Indian Ocean has suddenly moved at high speed to a new location more than 200 miles north.
A Dutch-owned vessel Equator has been using an autonomous underwater vehicle in a pattern of maneuvers near the seabed similar to that used on two previous occasions when significantly large objects were identified. Both of these turned out to be shipwrecks.
This change of mission was detected by Dr. Richard Cole, of University College, London, who has been following the search operation for many months via satellite tracking.
The Australians determined, after an intense scientific effort(see below), that the most likely site was further north, between latitudes 32 to 36 degrees south. The Equator is now o
Malaysia said on Friday the hunt for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 will end in two weeks after the search is completed of a 120,000 square kilometre (9,650 sq mile) area where experts thought it went down.
Investigators recommended last month that the search be extended by 25,000 sq km to an area further north in the Indian Ocean, after conceding for the first time they were probably looking in the wrong place.
But Malaysia's transport minister, Liow Tiong Lai, told reporters the search of the 120,000 sq km area would be completed but the hunt would then end in the absence of any "credible clue" suggesting it be extended.
The latest report by the search coordinator, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, was due to be completed in a week or two, he ...